A successful career is the dream of everyone. Some want to climb the corporate ladder fast, get paid that high six-figure and maybe one day retire early and comfortably. While some want to be their own boss, they become an entrepreneur, do freelance work or invest. Some people only want to do the work they enjoy. And then there are people who wish to work in the areas that improve human lives. They desire to work to uplift communities with their activities.
Choosing between these options can be a difficult choice for students when it comes to choosing a course they want to study. Because students typically select a course that leads to their dream career and what they think will be fulfilling both emotionally and financially. But for that to happen you need to find a balance, some careers can be highly satisfying but they don’t make ends meet while some pay well but are emotionally and physically draining. However, the good news is there are several courses that can provide this balance in life. One such course is the Master of Social Work (MSW). If you are someone who wants to work for the community but also expects your career to be fulfilling both emotionally and financially then this is the perfect course for you.
Master of Social Work
A master of social work builds on your prior knowledge and experience and gives you more opportunities to advance your knowledge in direct practice. A master’s degree in social work can open up a plethora of opportunities for you such as a huge job market, higher pay and more opportunities for advancement.
Why study MSW
- Social workers naturally work with those in greatest need. As this professional path offers a sense of purpose, Forbes Magazine rated social work supervisors 7th on the list of most meaningful occupations.
- Employment opportunities. Social workers are required in various public and private settings including community health centres, public and private hospitals, aged care facilities, education facilities, mental health settings, NGOs, government departments etc. Hence, unemployment is scarce among Social Workers.
- Gain transferable skills. The course will equip you with transferable skills such as communicating, problem-solving, empathy, time management and teamwork that you gain after completing your Master of Social Work.
Why Australia for MSW?
Master of Social Work in Australia will allow you to study in a research-led program that is based on current data and also led by highly qualified, experienced, research-active and approachable experts in the fields. Aside from this, you will be able to benefit from the course in these ways:
- Opting for a Master of Social Work in Australia can lead to permanent residency for international students
Social work has been listed as a skill for which there is a huge demand however it is facing a shortage in the labour department. To tackle the skills shortage Australia is offering visas to social workers. In 2022, there were 32,900 job openings in this field and this number was expected to grow by 35,000 in 2023.
- International graduates of Social Work may be eligible for skilled migration or employer-sponsored visas based on qualification and work experience.
- Good Salary: individuals who are working full-time can earn around $1829 per week
Top Universities Offering MSW in Australia for International Students
Various universities in Australia offer Master of Social Work under different specialisations, some of them have been listed below:
|The University of Melbourne||Master of Social Work||AUD $46,480|
|The University of Wollongong||Master of Social Work||AUD $16,000|
|University of New South Wales||Master of Counselling Social Work||AUD $23,000|
|University of Western Australia||Master of Social Work||$AUD 40,200|
|Griffith University||Master of Social Work||AUD $30,500|
|La Trobe University||Master of Social Work||AUD $33,600|
|Curtin University||Master of Social Work||AUD $42,486|
General Entry Requirements for International Students
Requirements for admission vary from university to university, so read the course information on the university website carefully and contact us if you require assistance or advice.
Generally, universities require you to:
- An undergraduate degree with at least one year of full-time studies in social work or equivalent
- Meet the English language requirements of the University.
Students should have completed their bachelor’s degree in social work or its equivalent course from a recognised university with a GPA of 2.6-3.0.
English Language Proficiency Test Scores
Students need to submit scores of the English Proficiency test when they apply for the course. Remember the minimum score will vary from university to university.
Document Requirement for MSW course in Australia
These are the list of the documents you will need to apply for MSW courses in Australia:
- Statement of Purpose
- Letter of Recommendation
- Academic Documents
- A valid passport
- Proof of Financial Support.
Job Prospects After Masters in Social Work Australia
|Job Role||Annual Salary|
|Social Worker||AUD 89,187|
|Case Manager||AUD 84,930|
|Mental Health Counsellor||AUD 95,000|
|Community Service Manager||AUD 82,444|
So, are you ready to take your academic journey to the next level by studying for a Master of Social Work in Australia and unlocking a world of opportunities? Talk to Edvise Hub’s education consultant to get more information regarding studying in Australia.