UNSW (University of New South Wales)
University of New South Wales, commonly known as UNSW Sydney. It is one of the most reputable and supreme public research-based universities situated in Sydney city of New South Wales state of Australia. There are 62,509 students currently enrolled in this prestigious institute. After the covid-19 pandemic in December 2021 when the borders were reopened then around 7000 international students were welcomed by UNSW Sydney. Including more, the Vice-chancellor of UNSW Sydney said that “International students play a vital role in the UNSW community, and the vibrancy they bring to our university has been sorely missed”
It was established on 1st July 1949, but the roots of this institute are traced to the “Sydney Mechanics School of Arts” in 1833. It has always focused to meet the emerging demands of technologies and industrialization. In the early days, the primary object of this institute was to change agricultural societies into industrial societies. This revolutionary concept was adapted for the people of that time because of the immense destruction of World War II.
UNSW is a member of the great chain of “Universitas 21 (U21)”. It is a global group of research-based universities that works collectively to bring the quality of research and educational innovation. It is also partnered with more than 200 countries for different exchange programs and research works. Speaking about some facts and figures, according to QS World University Ranking by Subject 2022, It is ranked in 1st number in Australia in “Accounting and Finance” and on 20th number globally. However, in terms of overall performance, it is ranked 44th number worldwide based on the 2021 QS ranking.
Accomplishments and Alumni
There are more than 17000 alumni of UNSW Sydney university who are working in around 120 countries. This institute has provided a good number of leaders and entrepreneurs who are performing their legal and moral obligations and are also contributing to the betterment of societies with their services. Apart from this huge list of alumni, a few notable alumni are mentioned below:
- Cherie Thompson
- Frances Atkins
- Mark Champley
- Phillipa Harrison
- Gail Williamson
- Gladys Berejiklian
- Mark Boris
- John Deeble
There are three major campuses of the University of New South Wales across the state.
- Kensington campus: This is the main campus which is situated just 7km away from the city. The total area of campus is 38 hectares (94 acres) in Kensington which is the south-eastern side of Sydney.
- Paddington & CBD: This is situated in the inner-city area which is a local government area and this is a separate campus famous for Art and Design and business studies.
- UNSW Canberra: This campus is situated in the capital city which is known as the Canberra campus and this is near Australian Defense Force (ADFA).
Acceptance Rate for International Students
Let’s first understand what is the acceptance rate. The concept of acceptance rate is what percentage of international students are allowed to study in this leading institute in Australia from all over the world.
The acceptance rate of the University of New South Wales is 40% which is considered a low acceptance rate. It means this university warmly welcomes different cultural people to become a part of this reputable institute. This is a great opportunity for those individuals who are deprived of the quality of education and research exposure.
There are multiple admission requirements for an international student to fulfil. Do not worry we will discuss each requirement so that you may understand everything properly and can easily apply for further studies abroad.
This must be done very carefully in case any of your requirements are missed out or lately submitted so you may be rejected and will not be entertained furthermore.
These all are the documents that you will need when you are applying to study abroad. Some documents are mandatory at any cost like passport copies, visas, and recommendations letter. You must have each item in soft copy as well as in hard copy.
However, some documents are conditional-based. For instance, in some domains universities may ask you for a personal statement or motivation letter but in some domains, they ask for essay writing. In this context, do not be confused you can get consultant help or you may directly check through the official website of the university for that particular subject or domain. Besides the following are the most needed documents you can make ready if you are applying for foreign studies.
- Application form
- Secondary school certificate/Provisional Transcript
- Language proficiency certificate
- Recommendation letter
- Medical Insurance
- Passport copy
- Statement of Purpose
- Two essays (if required)
Visa process documents for international students
Previously we discussed the documents that you will submit to the university directly. Now, these all are the documents that you need for your visa process at the immigration institute.
- Application form
- Passport-size photographs
- Financial support in the form of a bank statement
- Acceptance letter from the university
- Certificate of past academic work & achievement
- Proof of language proficiency
- Health insurance
Academic Requirement for Undergraduate Programs
Now let’s understand the academic requirements it will help you to know whether you are eligible to apply or not and this includes:
- Secondary Education Certificate: In this, you have to show that you have completed your secondary education and submit the awarded certificate.
- Higher Education Certificate: In this portion, you have to submit your matriculation certificates and mark sheets.
- Diploma and other post-secondary documents: If you are having some other certification like a diploma in information technology or something else you need to submit it also.
- Aggregate percentage: The UNSW Sydney has alternative scores for different domain and you can check it on their official website. However, the average percentage is 70% for a bachelor’s degree.
Academic Requirement for Post-graduate Programs
Similarly, if you are applying for a post-graduation program it includes:
- The Degree Award Certificate: The final degree paper in which it is mentioned that this individual has done a bachelor’s in a particular field.
- Provisional Transcript: This is the mark sheet that is proof of all the courses and aggregate scores achieved by an individual.
- Cumulated GPA: The overall GPA and the required CGPA is 3.00 which is 75%.
University of New South Wales asks for English language Proficiency test scores. The list of accepted tests with required scores is available here:
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System) – the required score is 6.5 Bands in each module. However, for business study, you need an overall score of 7.0 Bands but 6.5 in each module.
- TOEFL iBT (Test of English as a Foreign Language – internet-based) The required score is 90 overall but for the business study, you need a 94 score.
- TOEFL PBT (Test of English as a Foreign Language – Paper-based test), the required over score is 577 and for business studies, you need a 589 score
- PTE (Pearson Test of English – Academic) the overall score you need is 64 for all other domains but in business, you need a 65 score.
If you have gone through this blog then the admission procedure is quite simple for you.
- Initially, you have to fill out all the required data on the application form.
- Your second step is to pay the respective fee voucher. You can pay it through the University of New South Wales by bank draft, cheque, or credit card.
- Now you have to upload all the documents which we have already discussed above.
- Lastly, the university will verify your documents and will provide you with an update within 3 to 4 working days.
- Natural and Physical Sciences
- Information Technology
- Engineering and Related Technologies
- Architecture and Building
- Environmental and Related Studies
- Business and Management
- Humanities and Law
- Creative Arts
University of New South Wales provides a wide range of programs, but here we have only included the top-ranked and most popular programs
- Water Resources (global ranking 10)
- Mining & Mineral Engineering (10)
- Library & Information Science (12)
- Civil Engineering (20)
- Oceanography (20)
- Psychology (25)
- Energy Science & Engineering (25)
- Telecommunication Engineering (26)
- Transportation Science & Technology (26)
- Finance (29)
- Marine/Ocean Engineering (33)
- Mechanical Engineering (36)
- Atmospheric Science (37)
- Electrical & Electronic Engineering (37)
- Public Health (39)
- Metallurgical Engineering (42)
- Aerospace Engineering (45)
- Environmental Science & Engineering (48)
- Instruments Science & Technology (49)
- Earth Sciences (49)
The fee structure of UNSW Sydney university is based on the unit of credit (UOC). You will be charged according to the pre-defined rate of a unit of credit. For instance, there is an undergraduate international student of Aerospace Engineering. The total tuition fee for this program is $1,055 now you have to check the unit of credit and for the AERO3630 course the UOC is 6 so you have to multiply it by the tuition fee of $1,055 x 6 = $6,330 and this will be your annual fees.
Similarly, it is the same for post-graduation the fees are based on the unit of credit. You can also find this list on the official website of the University of New South Wales.
For those individuals who think that they could not afford this fee we recommend you go for scholarships. The UNSW Sydney is offering different scholarships.
- International Scientia Coursework Scholarship (PUCA1025)
- UNSW Law & Justice International Award (PUCA1028)
- UNSW Business School International Scholarship (PUCA1024)
- UNSW Business School International Pathways Award (PUCA1023)
This was all about the University of New South Wales, this blog contains every piece of information you might think to acquire before applying. The complete application process, documentation, different domains, top subjects, and also fee structure are mentioned. If you are interested and aim to get your degree from a well-known university then you are thinking correctly go ahead get as much as information you can and decide for your future and success.