Australia is one of the top choices for students who are planning to study abroad. The country is renowned around the world for its high-quality education, work opportunities and standard of living. They also have friendly natives, diverse cultures, and vibrant cities. These reasons make Australia one of the most popular study abroad programs among international students.
Have you decided to return to your studies after a long back? If yes, then you must be wondering how many gap years are accepted in Australia. If you have decided upon Australia as your study destination then it is essential that you understand its rules and regulations on study gaps. Each university in Australia has its individual admission criteria, and most of them accept a gap of one or two years. However, if the gap exceeds three or four years you need to provide valid reasons.
Impact of Gap Years
If students can provide genuine reasons for their gap years with reliable documents, Australian universities are ready to allow them to enrol in their chosen programs. But you should keep in mind that a gap of more than one or two years can negatively affect your scope of admission at the higher-ranked institution. Hence, you must provide valid documents to support your reasons. To avoid the gap from negatively impacting your chances of admission, we would recommend that you engage yourself in productive activities in your area of specialisation.
Also, remember forging documents to justify your gap years will have serious consequences which could lead to getting permanently banned from travelling to the country.
How Many Years of the Gap Is Accepted Under a Student Visa in Australia?
Every university in Australia has its own admission criteria and the acceptability criteria for gap years vary across them, there are general criteria that you can follow. As we mentioned above, most of the universities will accept a year or two years of gap.
However, a gap of 3 to 4 years will require you to justify why you took such a big gap. You need the provide the following if your gap is more than a year:
- Strong reasons
- Supporting evidence
Other factors that your acceptability depends on whether you want to enrol in an undergraduate or postgraduate program. You will also need to provide a reason why you took the gap year. for example, it could be because of employment purposes. If that is the case then you need to submit employment documents and salary slips as proof. Those who took the gap due to medical reasons will need to submit documentary evidence as well.
Does Edvise Hub deal with students who have breaks between studies? Yes, of course, and we managed to help them get into the university of their dream. So, if you are someone looking for help in this matter, Book a free consultation with our Consultants!
How to Get a Student Visa for Australia?
After you have proved why you took a gap year and got admission to your desired university, it is time to start with the Australian student visa process. This is the one step where students face the most difficulties. And we don’t blame them, there are a lot of technicalities that we have to keep in mind and act according to them to perfectly complete the whole process. These are the steps that you need to follow to secure your student visa:
- Apply to an Australian University: Begin by submitting an application to an Australian university. A Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE), an important document for the visa application procedure, will be provided to you after acceptance.
- Register with Australian Immigration Authorities: Create a profile on the platform provided by the Australian Immigration Authorities
- Scanned and Digitised Required Documents: Ensure all necessary documents are scanned and digitised. Required documents are:
- Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE)
- Proof of English Proficiency
- Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE)
- Proof of Sufficient Funds
- Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)
- Medical Certificate to confirm you meet the health requirements set by the Australian government.
- Police Certificate
- Complete Online Visa Application: Complete the visa application online and if you require any help with that contact Edvise Hub, We will make the whole process seem like nothing.
- Acquire Transaction Reference Number (TRN): You must pay the visa fee (AUD$650) following application submission. Once paid, you will receive a Transaction Reference Number (TRN)
- Await visa decision!
A degree from Australia is highly regarded around the world. Studying in Australia will open doors to opportunities wherever you go making it a desirable study-abroad destination for Pakistani students. Plan your application in advance which will help you in overcoming factors such as gap year. Collect documents to provide as evidence to justify your gap positively. And if you require any help along the way, contact Edvise Hub.