The reason why people invest in education is to build a resume that stands out in this competitive job market. Quality education ensures that students can be a useful part of the workforce and give the best of their potential in their upcoming careers. However, the process can get very stressful and consuming because of the options available and the varying financial and societal background of the students. Every family faces a challenge when it comes to this subject because the parents and students might clash regarding the career prospects of a certain program.
Since going abroad to study is such a big decision, it requires careful thinking and planning. In order to simplify the whole process for families and students, an expert mediator is required to give the most updated and honest information to the students who are about to invest their money and energy into a new venture. This blog article will help you properly understand how an education consultant is equipped to help you move through the whole process easily.
The basic roles of an education consultant
An education consultant is basically an advisor or counsellor who provides advice to students and parents regarding their next step in the learning process. They are able to fulfil this role due to their vast experience in dealing with education providers and students. Due to lack of information, many people make bad decisions regarding their education or hesitate to make decisions that also cost them a lot. Simplifying this decision making is possible due to the following services provided by the education consultant:
- Through strategic tests and interviews, an education consultant can analyse the strengths and interests of the student. A parent or other professional may not be able to perform this test on the student due to their lack of information regarding the options of the fields of study in the current market
- Help the student devise a long term plan that can give them a direction in their careers
- Career counselling is provided regarding the higher education choices, institute selection and postgraduate college planning. This can be either local study programs or international programs
- Moreover, education consultants are also adept in choosing the right training programs, short term diplomas or any other professional development plan that a professional might need for further upskilling in their career
- All the logistical and documentation related processes that are involved in the admission process are resolved and one-on-one attention is given to the students regarding these tasks that are new to them
- Educational consultants also have useful and carefully written guides and reliable resources regarding the study destinations available for students and professionals who want to explore their options and weigh the pros and cons of their decisions
- There is another task that an education consultant might be used for- advising the curriculum and services of institutes for their improvement. As they work as intermediaries between students and education providers, they can be very skilled at identifying what the course structure needs in order to be more competitive
How an education consultant helps students
Passionate and intelligent students need some guidance regarding their decisions- they either look for mentors in their surroundings through parents, teachers, relatives, etc. but if they do not have sufficient information regarding the field of study they are interested in, it can hamper their progress. In some cases, students even end up choosing some safer option which might not be good for them or sustainable in the long-term. To avoid these blunders, an education consultant can help in the following ways:
- Due to the plethora of information available online, it can cause confusion and stress among students regarding the best choice for them. An education consultant can help narrow down those options by realistically looking at the student’s inclinations and long term career prospects
- Every country has its own education systems and strengths in particular fields of study regarding the institutes. Most students hear information from their friends and follow their path which dims their own light and potential. As the consultants have been working with international institutes for long time, they can give honest and clear information to them about which country would be best for them
- After the narrowing down of options, the next big hurdle is finances. Students should be realistic about their financial abilities and the next important thing is to explore options regarding financing their dreams if they do not have the resources. This can be in the form of scholarships, grants, financial aid and bank loans but identifying these through a reliable consultant is very important because there are a lot of scammers out there who can take advantage of the student’s ignorance and eagerness to pursue their goals
- There are three parts of the admission process that can compromise the chances of a student of getting in the university of their choice:
- The written parts of the college application which is like an expression of interest- the statement of purpose or any other admission essay
- The competitive exams– language tests (English or native language of the study destination) and other exams to test the academic abilities of the students.
- Prepare for any interviews involved in the college admission process
If the student gets proper guidance about the scheduling, test preparation and resources to consult for these exams, the common mistakes can be avoided and they can increase their chances of securing admission.
- There is one more process that intimidates prospective students and parents- the visa process to go abroad. There are a lot of background checks that they require and the timing of getting an appointment is also crucial. Students can save themselves from all the worry by seeing a reliable consultant
How an education consultant helps parents and families
Parents can seek the help of an education consultant at any point of their child’s educational journey. When a student has just finished their secondary education and is looking for options to commence their undergraduate studies, either within the country or study abroad, parents are the main source of finances for the student so some sort of external counselling is required. Even when the student is going for postgraduate studies, the parents want to make sure that their child will be able to sustain themselves and then pursue a career that pays off the investment.
- Most parents are busy with their jobs and are not familiar with the education systems in different countries. In order to take such a big step and send their child away for a few years, they need to know whether it will be fruitful and safe option for their child
- Parents are also looking for resources to finance their child’s dreams and want to consult a trustworthy mentor regarding these options that are lesser known by common public
- Sometimes the student is unmotivated (due to low grades or any other mental health issues) and lost and the parents need information about the next step to take for their child so the education consultant can provide helpful options for these situations so that the parents can better understand and help the student find a good fit to thrive in academics and socially
- Overseeing the entire application process is very time-consuming for some parents especially if they are both working. With these schedules, it can be hard to keep a check on each and every step in the admission journey. If they can hire a consultant for this task and create the required trust to leave it up to the to guide their child, this problem can be easily resolved
Choosing a reliable consultant
When you’re choosing a consultant, it is important to keep the following things in mind:
- Consultancies have different expertise so make sure to look for the one offering all the services for your needs
- Through the basic search engine results, you can make a shortlist of the best consultancies in your area that are offering guidance in the fields you need. The next step is to check the reliability of these services by browsing through the kind of collaborations they have done, the reviews and recommendations they have received, and their overall professionalism and philosophy
- When you’re satisfied with their experience, book a session with them and communicate clearly all your expectations. Their response can tell you a lot about their experience
- Compare the fee of the consultation process and see which one is reasonably charging for their services. Choose the one which you feel is more transparent about their process and is affordable for you
Before making any decision, it is necessary to be on the same page or at least have parental involvement in the application process if they are going to be financing your studies. Having a consultant guide you through the many confusions is very important because there is mediation required in this process.
A good consultant will not overpromise and always gives the most straightforward answer regarding the admissions. There is no 100% guarantee involved in the process so only a dubious one can give you these kinds of answers. You can also get useful insights about your future planning and a clear picture of the lifestyle, pros and cons of the country you will be going to.