A student can earn up to the minimum wage of $18.23 per hour or $23.66. (International students have the same work right as all the other Australians, this includes minimum pay rates too)
Australian Student Visa
International applicants must get an Australian student visa in order to study in Australia. You can apply for a student visa from here. According to the Australian study visa requirements, you will need to show evidence of the following while completing your visa application form:
Australian Student Visa Application Form Requirements
- Evidence of sufficient funds to cover tuition, travel and living costs
- Evidence English Language Proficiency requirement
- Health requirement
- Character requirement
Documents Required for Australian Student Visa
The document checklist tool on The Department of Home Affairs website allows you to check the needed documents for your specific circumstances.
- Completed student visa for Australia application
- Visa Application fees: $620 currently
- Academic Documents
- Copy of valid passport
- Certification of Enrolment or Letter of Offer
- Evidence of sufficient funds
- English Language Proficiency results
- Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)
- Character certificate or Police Certificate.
After you've gathered all of your documents and scanned them, you'll need to create an account on ImmiAccount and apply through it. Most visa applications take little more than four weeks to process.
New Rules on the Australia Study Visa Requirements in 2020
On July 20, 2020, the Australian government announced new rules for Australian student visa requirements. The new rules were created to help international students and make it easier for them to apply.
- In 2020, Australia opened its border to international students.
- Students and graduates, who were affected by the travel ban that has been in effect since March 2020, will now be allowed to apply and receive a Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) visa.
- • As a result of COVID-19, the Australian Government will consider all online classes attended outside of Australia as part of the Australian Study Requirement for new and existing students.
- • Students can apply for student visas without paying application fees if they were unable to complete their course within the visa validity period due to the epidemic.
- Additional time to submit documents means that applicants can submit English Language Test Results that were disrupted due to the pandemic.
- Graduates with a student visa may now apply for a Post-study work visa if they are outside of Australia and unable to enter the country due to travel restrictions.
- For students who are stuck in Australia for more than a year due to the pandemic, the government would look after them by enabling them to access their Australian superannuation (FUNDS) ahead of time.
COVID- 19 and Visas
Many education providers in Australia are offering online courses to international students, allowing them to begin their studies in Australia. However, in order to take advantage of this and obtain your degree, you will still require a student visa. You can check out this website for additional information on the subject.
Furthermore, students who hold a Temporary Graduate visa and are eligible for a replacement Temporary Graduate visa because they were stuck in Australia due to the COVID-19 international travel ban will have their visas extended until September 30. This will allow them to live and work in Australia until they are able to apply for a Temporary Graduate visa in July.
Work/ PR Possibilities after studying in Australia
Many students want to stay in Australia for good after completing their studies. However, the path is a little uncertain as the rules of General Skilled Migration keep on changing. The most common way is to apply for a post-study work visa first after completing the studies then they can apply for General Skilled Migration to achieve PR. Via the SkillSelect migration program, students choose to migrate to Australia.
SkillSelect is an online program by the Australian government that enables people wanting to migrate to submit an Expression of Interest (EOI). SkillSelect allows you to be either invited by the Australian government to submit a visa application or recommended for a skilled visa by various Australian companies or state governments. SkillSelect, in a nutshell, streamlines the visa application procedure and increases the job chances of skilled migrants.