If you have always dreamt about studying in a prestigious university in the UK, then you must be looking for options to fund your educational and living expenses while you study there. Studying in the UK is an amazing experience for your professional life and you should look into every financial aid opportunity and not give up due to your financial constraints. This article will help you find out more about the different options and what you need to apply for the scholarship.
Overview of Education System in UK
The education system of the UK school system is based on four stages- primary education, secondary education, further education, and higher education. When you are applying to a university in the UK, you are getting higher education which includes universities, colleges, and conservatoires. Some of the most prestigious universities in the world like University of Oxford, University of Cambridge, and University of Edinburgh are in the UK. Undergraduate programs in the UK usually last for three years whereas postgraduate programs finish within one year. There is a wide range of courses available (like English, history, and mathematics, law, medicine, engineering, etc.) in these institutes and these include vocational courses as well. There are many funding options that the students can access and this can help them pay for tuition, accommodation and other living expenses.
Why Study in the UK?
Most Pakistani students choose to study in the UK because of its history of academic excellence. This high quality education is recognised worldwide and employers also seek people who have had a UK education. The wide range of courses means that it gives students the liberty to choose a career of their interest from the given options- from the traditional subjects to the more vocational ones. Pakistani students also apply there to get exposure to a multicultural environment which is important for self growth and professional development as well. When applying for jobs and building a career, English language is very important and living in the UK is an excellent opportunity to polish your skills in English language and increase your competitiveness in the global job market.
Challenges Faced by Pakistani Students in UK
Pakistani students face a number of challenges as international students while studying in the UK:
- Cultural shock: As the culture is very different from their own, they have trouble integrating into a new societal culture in the UK. The customs and manners are new to them and this takes some time to adjust.
- English language: Conversational English is new to a lot of students and this causes some communication difficulties as well as some problems understanding the lectures during classes.
- Discrimination: There is some subtle prejudice in the UK regarding students from different races from their own so this can affect Pakistani students as well.
Types of Scholarships for Pakistani Students in UK
There are many different types of scholarships available for Pakistani students to study in the UK. Some of the scholarships are need based but merit-based scholarships for Pakistani students in UK are also available:
- Government scholarships: These scholarships are offered by the Pakistani government to help them pursue their higher education in the UK. Two of the most renowned ones are the HEC Overseas Scholarship Scheme and the Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan.
- University scholarships: There are many universities in the UK that offer need-based scholarships for Pakistani students in UK but they can also be based on academic achievement or any other criteria.
- Private scholarships: Private scholarships are offered by private organisations and foundations and they are specified for a certain field of study.
- Research scholarships: UK Government Scholarships and private organisation scholarships that are targeted for Pakistani students who want to research in a particular area of study.
- Corporate scholarships: Corporations want to invest in the talent that will build the future so they offer scholarships to students in Pakistan who want to pursue their professional ambitions.
Eligibility Criteria for Scholarships
The scholarship provider and type of scholarship usually decides what kind of eligibility criteria the candidate has to fulfill. Here is what the general eligibility criteria for scholarships in the UK look like:
- The students must have a certain level of academic excellence that is either exhibited by their grades or their academic achievements.
- The student must have proof of admission in the university that they applied to.
- If it is a need based scholarship, the scholarship candidate will be required to demonstrate the need for financial assistance through bank statements
- English language proficiency test results have to be shown and must match the requirements of the university they applied to.
- A personal statement will also be required to show the academic and personal goals behind their educational venture and how they plan to use the scholarship funds. This will show the committee how much you deserve the scholarship.
How to Apply for Scholarships
You have to keep in mind that the scholarship application is different from the university admission application and has a different procedure and deadline. In order to be fully prepared for this process, you can consult our mentors who will keep you updated about the opportunities and help you choose the best option. Here is the general information about the application procedure:
- Research online or on social media groups and pages that share the latest scholarship options regularly so that you can choose what fits you the best.
- If you fulfill the eligibility criteria, you should start collecting all your relevant documents like academic transcripts, personal statements, letters of recommendation, and language proficiency test scores.
- These documents have to be submitted either online on the scholarship provider’s website or delivered to embassy by mail.
- After waiting for some weeks or months, you will get the results for your scholarship. If you get the offer, remember to read the terms and conditions before accepting it.