PR Pathways Engineering

Engineering is one of the fastest-growing and top-earning industries in Australia, the profession is in great demand across the country. Therefore, there are always various engineering occupations featured on the Australian skilled occupation list making it one of the most attractive study destinations for aspiring engineers. 

If you have chosen Australia for your engineering university with the thought of permanent residency in mind, know that it can be a reality. Studying engineering in Australia can open up the world to various further study options as well as unlimited and excellent employment opportunities and the opportunity to become a permanent resident in Australia. 

PR Pathway Courses in Engineering

Here are some PR courses related to the engineering field in Australia, ranging from certification to degree.


  • Diploma in Engineering 
  • Advanced Diploma of Telecommunication Network
  • Advanced Diploma of Civil Construction Design
  • Graduate Diploma in Professional Engineering
  • Graduate Diploma in Engineering

Bachelor’s Degree

  • Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) (Different specialisations)
  • Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) Bachelor of Business

Master’s Degree

  • Master of Engineering (Different specialisations)
  • Master of Engineering Management

Skill Assessments

All engineers need to receive a positive skills assessment from Engineer Australia before applying for a skilled visa. Engineer Australia is the national authority of the Australian Government which assesses skills and abilities for migrating engineers.

Engineer Australia conducts five main types of assessment:

  • Australian Qualification Assessment: Choose this type of assessment if you have studied engineering from an accredited university/college in Australia 
  • Dublin Accord Assessment: you will choose this assessment type if you hold an accredited qualification from a country under the Dublin Accord.
  • Sydney Accord Assessment: you will choose this assessment type if you hold an accredited qualification from a country under the Sydney Accord.
  • Washington Accord Assessment: you will choose this assessment type if you hold an accredited qualification from a country under the Washington Accord (Pakistan falls into this category) or if you are a holder of a French engineering degree which is covered by the CTI agreement.
  • Competency Demonstration Report Assessment: you will choose this assessment type if your nominated occupation is an Engineering Manager, if you have non-accredited qualifications or if you have accredited qualifications but would like to be assessed in a different occupation than the one specified in your qualifications.

Visa Types for PR for Engineering Professionals

You will find nearly all engineering occupations on the medium and long-term strategic skills list. This means there are more potential PR visas that you can apply for. Some of them are as follows:

Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189)

A Skilled Independent Visa is a point-based visa that allows an individual to live, study and work in Australia permanently. To be eligible for an invitation you need 65 or above points.

Skilled Nominated Visa (Subclass 190)

This is also a point-based visa and allows an individual to live, work and study in Australia permanently. To be eligible you must have a state willing to nominate you and 65 points or above. As states have their own occupation list, you need to check the relevant list to see if your occupation is on the list or not.  If your field of engineering is featured on the state occupation list and you meet the eligibility criteria, you can apply for this stream. 

Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) Visa (Subclass 491)

Although it is not a permanent visa, it can lead to a permanent visa (Skilled Regional Visa – Subclass 191). Subclass 491 is a point-based visa that allows individuals to live, study and work in a designated regional area of Australia. To be eligible you need a minimum of 65 or above points and need to be nominated by a state or sponsored by an eligible relative. 

Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (Provisional Visa) (Subclass 494) 

It is an employer-sponsored visa if you have a regional employer who is willing to sponsor you. To be eligible for this visa you must have at least 3 years of work experience in your nominated occupation and have relevant skill assessment. 

Permanent Residency Skilled Regional Visa (Subclass 191)

Subclass 191 visa became valid on November 16, 2022. It is available to those holding Subclass 491 or Subclass 494 visas who have spent at least three years living, working, or studying in the designated regional area and who earn at least $53,900 in taxable income. This visa will allow you to live, work and study in Australia permanently.

Employer Nomination Scheme Visa (Subclass 186)

If you have an employer who is willing to sponsor you, you can apply for subclass 186. You can live, work, and study in Australia indefinitely with this permanent visa. You must have at least three years of experience in your chosen field of work and a positive skills assessment to be eligible for this visa.

Navigating the PR Application Process in Engineering

For engineers who want to become permanent residents in Australia, below you will find the procedures that are involved in applying for a permanent residency visa in Australia.

  1. Complete an engineering qualification.
  2. Depending on your acquired qualification, apply for skill assessment under the relevant pathway by the relevant authority (Engineers Australia).
  3. Once you have sufficient PR points and/or meet the state requirements, you can lodge your EOI
  4. You can proceed to apply for a visa in Australia after receiving a positive response from Engineers Australia.

The process of applying for PR or even to a university can be a little difficult, so if you are facing any challenges in anything regarding PR pathway in Australia or your educational endeavours you can contact Edvise Hub, our expert consultants will know how to help you.

Contact us for a free consultancy!


Our Recent Blogs