Teaching is one of the most fulfilling and rewarding career paths. If you are someone who is passionate about becoming a mentor and nurturing the minds of the next generation then it is the best course to study. If you are looking for a country to pursue a Master of Teaching but are confused, then Australia is the country you should choose. The country is filled to the brim with opportunities for aspiring teachers and after graduating you may also be able to apply for PR as the teaching occupation is on the Skilled Occupation List.
In this blog, we will discuss what a Master of Teaching is, its career outcomes and other important factors related to it to help aspiring teachers make an informed decision.
Reason to Study Master of Teaching in Australia
Australia is home to some of the best universities in the world that are popular for their excellence in education and teaching. Students who are on the quest for a perfect study destination that provides excellent education, as well as lucrative opportunities, choose Australia as their study abroad destination. Let’s discuss some other reasons why Australia is best for studying teaching courses:
- Global Recognition
Australia is known around the world for its quality, world-class education systems, with a huge number of its universities taking top ranks in the world. Therefore, there is no doubt that pursuing a master’s in teaching in Australia will give you high-value certification and give you an edge over your peers within the job market globally.
- Career Opportunities
The education and training industry is one of the fastest-growing industries in Australia. The industry is expected to grow by 113.4% or it will require at least 149,600 skilled workers by November 2026. These statistics show that there will be more job openings for teachers in the country, making it a good choice for a career.
- Income Potential
An entry-level teacher can potentially earn around $73,229 annually. While an experienced teacher can earn up to $199,951 annually. The earning potential for teachers is pretty good in the country and as the demand increases the average salary will automatically increase as well.
- PR Pathway
As we mentioned above, there is a huge demand for teachers which means you will find the occupation featured on the Medium and Long-term Skill List and Short-term Skilled Occupation list. This means once you graduate and have enough points, you can apply for permanent residency.
Master of Teaching in Australia: Course Curriculum
Teaching generally falls into three key areas of expertise: early childhood education, primary and secondary education, and master’s degrees in education. However, there are other courses available in this field for you to pursue.
Some of the courses are listed below:
- Master of teaching English to speakers of other languages (TESOL)
- Master of TESOL and Applied Linguistics
- Master of Learning and Teaching (MOLT)
- Master of Education
- Master of Teaching Secondary (MMET)
- Master of Primary Teaching
Best Universities to Study Master of Teaching and Their Requirements in Australia
University of New South Wales (UNSW)
- You must have completed an undergraduate degree with a Weighted Average Mark (WAM) of 60+.
- A very high level of spoken and written English competence is required, equivalent to a band 5 in HSC English Advanced, standard English, or English as a second language, or an overall IELTS score of 7.5 with a minimum of 8.0 in speaking and listening and 7.0 in reading and writing, or the equivalent.
- Completion of a bachelor’s degree in a different discipline
- To meet the English language proficiency requirements of this course, you will need to demonstrate at least one of the following:
- IELTS (Academic): minimum overall band of 7.0 (with no individual band less than 7.0) speaking and listening 7.5
- The Casper test. Many starting teacher training courses in Victoria require the Casper test. It is a non-cognitive online test used to evaluate an applicant’s personal and professional qualities.
- An undergraduate degree from an approved institution
- Previous study that satisfies the requirements for one or two learning areas of the primary school curriculum.
- All applicants must also complete the Teacher Capability Assessment Tool (TCAT) selection test and meet all TCAT benchmarks.
- English proficiency requirements: 7.5 overall; no less than 8 for speaking; no less than 8 for listening; no less than 7 for reading; no less than 7 for writing.
- You must hold a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent from a recognised institution, as well as at least one year of study in an area related to the early years, primary or secondary curriculum.
- Applicants will also be required to engage in an assessment of non-academic attributes in order to reflect on their suitability for teaching.
- Curtin requires all international applicants to demonstrate proficiency in English: overall 7.5; writing 7.0; speaking 8.0; reading 7.0 and listening 8.0.
University of Western Australia
- To be considered for admission to this course an applicant must have –
- A bachelor’s degree, or an equivalent qualification, as recognised by UWA
- A degree in a discipline relevant to the school curriculum major, with at least two of those units studied at the second-year university level and two at the third-year university level is required.
- The equivalent of a UWA weighted average mark of at least 60 per
- A valid IELTS Academic overall score of at least 7.5, a minimum score of 7.0 in the Reading and Writing bands, and a minimum score of 8.0 in the listening and speaking bands.
- A bachelor’s degree (Australian equivalent) with at least a credit (60%) average. (2 years full-time, 96 points to complete)
- IELTS (Academic) 6.5 overall score, with minimum band scores: Listening: 6.0, reading: 6.0, Writing: 6.0 and Speaking: 6.0
- Situational Judgement Test
Australian Catholic University
- English Language Proficiency scores: no less than 7 in reading and writing. No score less than 8 in listening and speaking.
Cost of Master of Teaching in Australia
|Australian Catholic University
|AU$25,568 per year
|University of New South Wales
|AU$44,235 per year
|AU$33,800 per year
|AU$46,872 per year
|AU$32,093 per year
|University of Western Australia
|AU$35,300 per year
|AU$40,400 per year
Career Opportunities After Master of Teaching
International graduates have a plethora of career opportunities in this industry. You can pursue the following job prospects:
|Average Annual Salary
|Secondary School Teacher
|Early Childhood Education Teacher
|Middle School Teacher
|Primary School Teacher
|Education Policy Officer
How to Apply for a Master of Teaching in Australia?
Check the eligibility criteria of the program and university you are interested in before applying for the course to ensure a seamless process. Edvise Hub is always ready to help you throughout the application process to ensure that you successfully get into your desired program and university.
We would recommend that you follow the outlined steps for a successful application process:
- Conduct in-depth research on your chosen university, its eligibility criteria, funding options and whether the course the university is offering aligns with your interests.
- Ensure that you have all the documents that are required. They are all translated into English and are attested by relevant authorities.
- Hire an education agent as most universities in Australia accept application through education agents. Edvise Hub can help you apply to your dream university so contact us today.
- If your application is accepted, you will receive an offer letter (conditional or unconditional), if it is unconditional you just need to accept the offer but do so after reading the terms and conditions carefully with your education agent. If you have received a conditional offer you will then need to fulfil some conditions posed by the university in order to be eligible for admission.
- Once you have accepted the offer you will receive confirmation of enrollment. Now you can pay your fees and begin filing for the student visa (subclass 500).
We hope this blog provides you with all the information you need to apply for a Master of Teaching. If you need our help with the application process, don’t hesitate to reach out to our education consultants. Edvise Hub will walk you through the admission process and make sure you get a spot in your dream university in Australia.