A lot of students get disappointed or give up when they do not fulfil the entry requirements for a certain Bachelor’s degree that they were aiming for. There is an alternative pathway for such students to enter the Bachelor’s degree of their choice- a Diploma leading to a Bachelor’s degree. In this article, we will explore how getting a Diploma in Australia can be extremely beneficial for you and what are the requirements and conditions for getting admission to one. This can be the most practical way for you to study in Australia and other countries as well.
What is a Diploma leading to Bachelors?
A Diploma is a short duration certification (usually one year) that equips you with useful insights regarding the practical work of your field and enables you to find work right after the completion of the certification. After completing the Diploma in Australia, you can spend two more years (either in the university where you got your diploma or in its partner universities) to get a Bachelor’s degree. With a Diploma to Bachelor’s degree, you will get two degrees- a Diploma as well as a Bachelor’s- that will make you more competent in the job market and help you attain a job as quickly as possible. As an international student, getting a Diploma in Australia can be a huge benefit for you. Diploma courses are offered in the following fields.
- Art and communication
- Information Technology
- Health Science
- Trade (Commercial Cookery, Locksmith, Auto mechanic, plumbing, Auto electrician, painting and decorating)
What can a Diploma to Bachelors degree do for me?
Compared to Bachelors programs, these short programs cost less and open up the student to a multitude of jobs after the completion of the course. As an international student, you would certainly want to gain hands-on information regarding your field of study and start earning as soon as possible. A diploma to bachelor’s degree can give you the following benefits:
- Allows the student to discover different kinds of jobs after the course
- Can apply for TR 485 Graduate Stream visa
- More cost effective than a Bachelor’s degree
- Gives you two degrees instead of one (Diploma and Bachelors, both)
- Easier entry requirements
- Some universities have three intakes per year so you do not have to wait to begin your degree
- Gives you strong practical knowledge
Eligibility criteria and conditions to get admission
- You need to have at least 65% marks in your grade 12 examination in an engineering diploma, 55% in IT, and 50% in arts
- You should be at least 16 years old
- Fulfil the English proficiency criteria (IELTS: 6.0, TOEFL-IBT: 60, PTE: 50)
The eligibility criteria for each university varies so remember to check its website and get in touch with them if you don’t get access to the required information. Remember to thoroughly check the university or institution that you are applying to for your study in Australia so that it aligns with your long-term professional goals.
Where can I get my Diploma?
The Australian education system promotes learning that is focused on innovation and research that welcomes new ideas. The diploma courses offered at universities offer the students an environment that nurtures their curious minds and encourages them to think critically and succeed in their field of choice. There are many universities in Australia that offer diploma courses, many of which appear in the top QS ratings as well. We have listed some of the popular universities below, go through their websites and see if you can find a program of your choice.
- Victoria University
- Swinburne University
- Central Queensland University
- University of Technology, Sydney
- Deakin University
- University of Melbourne
Is it more expensive than a Bachelor’s?
It depends on the number of electives a student chooses during the course of the Diploma. Each elective course costs different and the more courses you add, the more expensive your Diploma becomes. The average cost of a diploma in Australia is usually in the range of 4,000 – 8,000 Australian dollars. Right after finishing the course, you can easily start working and earn upto 66,000 Australian dollars per year so this is an investment worth making.
Once your Diploma certification is done, you have the freedom to choose any of the paths you want
- You can further your education and enrol into the Bachelor’s degree
- You can go back to your home country and work over there as it would increase your chances of employment over there as well
- Apply in the visas available to you so that you can work or stay in Australia after the Diploma