Commonwealth Scholarships are offered to deserving students who have the potential to make a positive impact globally. It may be the most anticipated dream of every student who wishes to study in the United Kingdom but doesn’t have the resources to do so.
This dream can become a reality as the application for this scholarship is open! This guide will provide you with all the information regarding Commonwealth Scholarship. So, let’s get started!
What is Commonwealth Scholarship?
The Commonwealth Scholarships is aimed at students from any country that is a member of the Commonwealth who can’t afford to study in UK universities. The scheme helps support future innovators and leaders by providing them with an opportunity to study at renowned universities.
As part of the UK’s ongoing commitment to the Commonwealth, around 800 students from developing and under-developing countries each year are given the chance to study for postgraduate degrees at UK universities. From the time of its commencement over 30,000 people have taken advantage of this scholarship. The scheme has since then constantly developed to adapt to the very different situation of the 56- nations of the Commonwealth today.
Commonwealth Scholarship Programs
There is a total of seven programs in three categories:
|For Low and Middle-Income Countries||
|For Least Developed Countries and Fragile States|
|Open to any Participating High Income Commonwealth Country||
Available Field of Study
Commonwealth Scholarship is offered under six development themes. There is no restriction on what you can study but CSC gives priority to disciplines that are more relevant to their development criteria.
- Science and technology for development
- Strengthening health systems and capacity
- Promoting global prosperity
- Strengthening global peace, security and governance
- Strengthening resilience and response to crises
- Access, inclusion and opportunity
What Financial Support is Available?
Most scholarships offered by the Commonwealth are Fully Funded which means that not only it will cover your tuition fees but will also provide airfare to and from the UK and a living allowance to support you while you are studying there.
Commonwealth Scholarship for Pakistani Students
Pakistan is among the countries that can take advantage of this scheme. HEC Pakistan announced two different Commonwealth scholarships to which students from Pakistan are eligible to apply.
- Commonwealth Scholarships General for Masters & PhD
- Commonwealth Scholarships Teaching Faculty (PhD)
CSC Eligibility Criteria for Pakistani Students
The eligibility criteria for international applicants may vary according to the level of degree and the top-ranking UK university they choose. The requirements for applicants applying for master’s or PhD level of study are mentioned below:
- Be a permanent resident of an eligible Commonwealth country
- Be available to start academic studies in the UK by the start of the UK academic year in 2023
- Be unable to afford to study in the UK without this scholarship
- Normally, the CSC would not fund a second UK Master’s degree. If you are applying for a second UK Master’s degree, you will need to justify why you wish to undertake this study.
- Provide full transcripts detailing all your higher education qualifications including to-date transcripts for any qualifications you are currently studying (with certified translations if not in English) – uploaded to the online application system
- Provide references from at least two individual
- Have provided all supporting documentation in the required format
For PhD Candidates Only:
- NOT be registered for a PhD., or an MPhil leading to a PhD., at a UK university or in your home country before September/October 2023
- Provide a supporting statement from a proposed supervisor in the UK from at least one of the institutions named on your application form.
HEC Eligibility Criteria
To apply for the scholarship, you need to fulfil the HEC requirements as well:
- Be a Pakistani/AJ&K national and permanent resident (Dual nationals are not eligible)
- For Master scholarship, applicants must have a first-class (Bachelors/masters) degree in a relevant field by the closing date of the HEC application portal.
- For PhD scholarship, an applicant must have a first-class degree in a relevant postgraduate field by the closing date of the HEC application portal.
- All applicants are to take the HAT test and obtain a minimum score of 60 out of 100.
- Proof of nationality
- Educational Document
- Recommendation Letters
- Statement of Purpose
- Research Proposal
There are 2 steps applicants need to follow to successfully apply for the Commonwealth Scholarships. Applicants are required to submit online applications to both Commonwealth and HEC portals.
Step 1- Commonwealth Online Application
- Applicants must apply using the CSC’s online application system mentioned below. The CSC is unable to process applications that are submitted after the closing date or not through the online application.
Closing Date: 18 October 2022
Step -2 HEC Online Application
Candidates should apply via the HEC website. First, you have to register and make your profile. After that select “Learning Opportunities Abroad” and apply for the specific scholarship. When you are done with the submission, get its printed copy to be signed by the applicant.
Closing Date: 18 October 2022
(Note: your application will not be entertained if you haven’t submitted both HEC and Commonwealth online applications. Also, save copies of both forms and relevant documents for the applicant’s own record.)
If you are an applicant who is aiming for the Commonwealth Scholarship then contact Edvise Hub and let us do it for you!