Are you a student who has recently completed your 12th grade in the commerce stream? Congratulations! Now, it’s time to make an important decision that will shape your future career. With the wide range of options available, choosing the best course after 12th commerce can be a daunting task. But fret not, we are here to help you navigate through the sea of choices and find the perfect course that aligns with your interests and aspirations.
In this comprehensive guide, we will explore the best courses after 12th commerce, and discuss their eligibility criteria, course highlights, and potential career opportunities. Whether you have a knack for numbers or a passion for business, there is a course that will suit your skills and interests. Let’s dive in!
1. Bachelor of Commerce (BCom)
One of the most popular and traditional courses after 12th commerce is the Bachelor of Commerce (BCom) degree. This two-year undergraduate program provides a strong foundation in various aspects of commerce and business studies. BCom offers a wide range of specialisations, including Accounting, Finance, Marketing, Human Resources, and Information Technology. It equips students with the essential knowledge and skills required to thrive in the dynamic business world.
Eligibility: To pursue a BCom degree, you must have completed your 12th grade with Commerce as the main subject. The minimum eligibility criteria may vary from one university to another, but generally, a minimum score of 50-60% in FSc, A-level or equivalent.
- Comprehensive understanding of commerce and business fundamentals.
- Specialisations are available in Accounting, Finance, Marketing, HR, and IT.
- Practical exposure through internships and industrial visits.
- Development of analytical, communication, and problem-solving skills.
- Opportunities for higher education and professional certifications.
Career Opportunities: Graduates with a BCom degree can explore various career paths in finance, accounting, marketing, human resources, and business management. Some popular job roles include Financial Analyst, Accountant, Marketing Executive, HR Manager, and Sales Manager.
2. Chartered Accountancy (CA)
If you have a strong aptitude for numbers and analytical skills, Chartered Accountancy (CA) can be an excellent career option for you. CA is one of the most prestigious and sought-after professional courses after 12th Commerce. It is a globally recognized qualification that opens doors to diverse opportunities in finance, taxation, auditing, and consulting.
Eligibility: To pursue CA, you need to register with the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Pakistan (ICAP) after completing your 12th grade. Candidates also have to pass a computer test called Qualifying Assessment Test (QAS). The CA course consists of three levels: CAF, CFAP and MSA.
- In-depth knowledge of accounting, auditing, taxation, and financial management.
- Rigorous training and practical experience through articleship.
- Opportunities to work in various sectors, including public accounting, corporate finance, and government agencies.
- Global recognition and potential for international career opportunities.
- High earning potential and job stability.
Career Opportunities: After completing the CA course, you can work as a Chartered Accountant in public accounting firms, corporate finance departments, banks, and government organisations. You can also choose to start your own accounting or consultancy firm.
3. Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA)
For students who aspire to become future business leaders and entrepreneurs, a Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) degree is an ideal choice. BBA is a four-year undergraduate program that provides a comprehensive understanding of business principles, management techniques, and organisational behaviour.
Eligibility: To pursue a BBA degree, you need to have completed your 12th grade with Commerce or any other stream. The minimum eligibility criteria may vary from one institute to another, but generally, a minimum score of 50-60% in the intermediate or A-level is required.
- In-depth knowledge of business management, marketing, finance, and operations.
- Development of leadership, decision-making, and communication skills.
- Practical exposure through case studies, industry visits, and internships.
- Opportunities to specialise in areas like Marketing, Finance, Human Resources, and International Business.
- Foundation for pursuing higher education or MBA.
Career Opportunities: A BBA degree opens up a wide range of career opportunities in various sectors, including marketing, finance, human resources, operations, and consulting. Graduates can work as Marketing Executives, Financial Analysts, HR Managers, Business Development Managers, and Operations Managers.
The salary after BBA depends on the skills and work experience of the person, however, the starting salary for a business graduate is from PKR55,000-85000 per month.
4. BSc Economics
If you have a keen interest in economic concepts, policies, and analysis, a BSc Economic degree can be a rewarding choice. BSc Economics is a four-year undergraduate program that provides a strong foundation in economic theories, quantitative methods, and policy analysis.
Eligibility: To pursue a BSc Economics degree, you need to have completed your 12th grade with Commerce or any other stream. The minimum eligibility criteria may vary from one institute to another, but generally, a minimum percentage of 50-60% is required in intermediate.
- In-depth understanding of microeconomics, macroeconomics, econometrics, and economic history.
- Application of economic principles in analysing real-world issues.
- Development of critical thinking, problem-solving, and data analysis skills.
- Opportunities to pursue research or higher education in economics.
- Potential for careers in government agencies, research organisations, financial institutions, and consulting firms.
Career Opportunities: Graduates with a bachelor of economics degree can work as Economists, Policy Analysts, Research Associates, Data Analysts, and Financial Analysts in government agencies, research institutions, banks, and consulting firms.
5. BS in Accounting and Finance
For students with a specific interest in accounting and finance, a BS in Accounting and Finance degree can be an excellent choice. It is a four-year undergraduate program that combines coursework in accounting and finance.
Eligibility: To pursue this degree, you need to have completed your 12th grade with Commerce or any other stream. The minimum eligibility criteria may vary from one institute to another, but generally, a minimum score of 50-60% in FSc or A-level or equivalent.
- In-depth knowledge of accounting principles, financial management, taxation, and auditing.
- Practical exposure through internships and industry projects.
- Development of analytical, problem-solving, and financial analysis skills.
- Potential for careers in accounting firms, financial institutions, corporate finance departments, and government agencies.
Career Opportunities: Graduates with a BS in Accounting and Finance degree can work as Accountants, Financial Analysts, Tax Consultants, Auditors, and Financial Planners in accounting firms, banks, financial institutions, and corporate finance departments.
According to Glassdoor, finance and accounting professionals earn PKR 95,000 per month on average.
Choosing the best course after 12th commerce is a critical decision that can shape your future career. With a wide range of options available, it is important to consider your interests, aptitude and long-term career goals. Whether you choose a traditional course like BCom or explore specialised programs like CA or BBA, each course has its own unique advantages and career opportunities.
To make an informed decision, research thoroughly and evaluate the eligibility criteria, course highlights and potential career paths for each option. Consider your strengths, passions and long-term goals to find the perfect course that aligns with your aspirations. Remember, your education is the foundation of your future success, so choose wisely and embark on a fulfilling and rewarding career journey.